There are some important health and safety guidelines that an employer must follow to safeguard their employees from any injury at the workplace, failing which, if an employee gets hurt, the employer can be sued for compensation. So, if you have faced an injury at your workplace, a personal injury attorney will help you in getting the compensation that you rightfully deserve.
Types of accidents at a workplace
The accidents that take place in a workplace can be a result of a standard working environment and a lack of proper safety measures. Sometimes these work injuries will have a serious impact on the person’s life and it is only fair that they get compensated for that. Some common types of accidents happen at the workplace.
- Moving vehicles and machinery can cause injuries
- A person can face burn injuries
- Lost fingers, toes, or limbs
- Slip and fall injuries
- One can fall from the roof or scaffolding
- A person can be electrocuted
- Injuries as a result of manual work like lifting something
What are the employer’s duties?
At a workplace, it is the employer’s legal duty to follow the safety norms completely to keep the employees safe from hazards. To make the workplace and work system safe for their employees, there are a few duties that the employer should carry out.
- They must carry out the necessary risk assessments at the workplace.
- Employees must be given appropriate training.
- Health and safety regulations must be enforced in the vicinity.
- All the employees must be provided with enough protective equipment for personal safety.
- The machinery and equipment must be adequately maintained to avoid any mishappening.
- The workplace must be free of hazards that might be related to the work industry, liquid spills for example.
What can you be compensated for?
If you get into an accident at the workplace, and the reason for that accident is the employer’s negligence, you can be compensated for all the medical expenses and financial losses suffered due to that particular accident. If you do face such a circumstance, the first step is to hire a good personal injury lawyer who can help you prove that the employer was negligent and take all the necessary steps to keep the workplace safe.
It is important to be aware of your rights, more important to act on them, so, if you get into an accident at the workplace you must fight for the right to compensation.