Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Washington State: Be Aware of the Deadline

injury lawyer

If you have suffered an injury in Washington State, you have a limited amount of time to file an injury lawsuit against the party who caused your accident and injury. You must get in touch with an injury lawyer immediately to make sure you do not miss the filing deadline.

Understanding the State of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims

The statute of limitations refers to the time you can file a lawsuit that tends to differ for various kinds of claims. Failing to file a lawsuit within this limitation results in the forfeiture of your right to sue the negligent party. For instance, if you sustained a crash that resulted from the negligent action of another driver, you have three years to file your claim. You should file the lawsuit within this timeframe; otherwise, you will lose your chance to take the negligent party to court. 

What is Pure Comparative Negligence?

The state of Washington uses pure comparative negligence to determine fault. Thus, you can be assigned a percentage of the blame for the injuries you suffered. A judge will determine the percentage the other party will pay you; however, it will be reduced based on your percentage of fault. For instance, a judge or jury may decide the other party deserves 60% of the blame and that you should be assigned 40% of it. How much you will get will be reduced by 40%. 

What Damages You Can Recover

Damages refer to the amount of money you will get as compensation for your accident-related injuries. These include lost wages because you have been unable to go to work due to your injury. Also, they include medical bills to pay for your injuries. And if you were in a car crash and your vehicle sustained damage, you can also recover compensation for it. The compensation you will receive should also cover rehabilitation services if you need them. 

Court Alternatives

Taking your personal injury case to court can be quite expensive and time-consuming. You can file a personal injury lawsuit in small claims court; however, you must seek permission from a judge to have a lawyer with you. Also, you can avoid court hearings if you prefer to have your case heard at the Washington State Dispute Resolution Center. No matter what route you choose, you can increase your chances of getting the compensation you deserve if you have an attorney on your side.